"THE WORLD IS A BOOK, AND THOSE WHO DO NOT TRAVEL READ ONLY A PAGE."Saint Augustine
"ART ENABLES US TO FIND OURSELVES AND LOSE OURSELVES AT THE SAME TIME."-Thomas Merton

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Festival In The Desert

Steve and I rented our first house out west in Arizona through VRBO. It was in April when all the cactus were blooming and it was beautiful. I really loved it. Low humidity, mountains all the way around as far as you could see, and there were cactus of every kind that you could imagine with all their colors competing with each other. The easiest ones to get to were in the nice neighborhoods, so we drove around and I took pictures mostly from the car. The reason I painted this picture was to see if I could capture the needles of the cactus. It was challenging. I used a lot of liquid frisquet from the white of the paper to dark points. After everything was covered I dropped in my paint. It actually was pretty easy but very time consuming because then I had to soften all of the points too. All in all I think I like it, what do you think?
Watercolor-140 paper